• Reduce text

    Reduce text
  • Restore text size

    Restore text size
  • Increase the text

    Increase the text
  • Print

    Print
coursive  du campus de  Champenoux. © INRA, Yves Bernardi

The INRA center of Nancy-Lorraine 

History of the center

In the 1960's, INRA opened its Lorraine center in a region historically known for its research on forests and food sources. Since that time, the institute has continued to invest in these two areas of research in the framework of an ongoing partnership with AgroParis Tech and the University of Lorraine.

Updated on 09/02/2014
Published on 01/24/2013

A region rich in forestry and agriculture, Lorraine has hosted since the late 19th century a forest research station and an agricultural experimental site. These two scientific thematic areas were supported in Lorraine throughout the 20th century by a research community made up of colleges, universities and research centers.

After its creation in 1946, INRA opened its center in Lorraine in the 1960's with its first site located in Mirecourt (the Joly area) and the next in Champenoux. Today, INRA continues to develop and evolve, collaborating with its academic partners (AgroParis Tech and the University of Lorraine) and with support from local regional actors and stakeholders.

The INRA center of Nancy-Lorraine in dates
1824 Creation of the Royal School of Forestry in Nancy.
1882 Creation of a research station and experiental site in the National School of Water and Forests.
1885 Louis Buffet, former agriculture minister of Napoleon III, transforms his Ravenel property (325 ha) in Mirecourt (88) for experimental use.
1900 Creation of the arboretum in Amance.
1901 Creation of the agricultural and colonial Institute of Nancy which would become ENSA in 1948 and Ensaia in 1970, and integrated into the National Polytechnic Institute of Lorraine (INPL) in 1971.
1923 Creation of the Annals of the National Academy of Water and Forests and its research and experimental site.
1935 Purchase the of the Ravenel and Joly properties (Mirecourt) by the General Council of the Vosges.
1946 Creation of the National Institute of Agronomic Research (INRA).
1961 The General Council of the Vosges leases 240 ha to INRA for an experimental farm and experimetal installations (Joly).
1964 Creation of the INRA Department of Forest Research and the National Forest Research Center (CNRF), based in Nancy. 
1970 Creation in Nancy of the National School of Agronomy and Food Industries (Ensaia) with the fusion between ENSA, School of Brewing and Malting and Dairy School.
1972 Inauguration of the CNRF buildings in Champenoux. 
1978 Creation of the DEA of Plant Biology and Forest and Wood Science at the University of Nancy 1.
1985 Creation by the University of Nancy 1 of a School for wood studies in Epinal that will become the National School of Technology and Wood Industries (ENSTIB) in 1994.
Partnership association begins between INRA and the Laboratory of Forest Biology at University of Nancy 1.
1993 Partnership association begins between INRA and the Laboratory of Genetics and Microbiology, University of Nancy 1.
1994 Partnership association begins between INRA and the research team in forest science with the National School of Rural Engineering, Water and Forestry (Engref, currently AgroParisTech).
1999-2000 Creation of the first joint research units (UMR) at INRA. In Lorraine, UMRs are created in association with Engref, University of Nancy 1 and INPL.
2003 Creation at INRA of the scientific department of Ecology of Forest, Grassland and Freshwater Ecology (EFPA), the management team is based in the center of Nancy-Lorraine.
2008 Creation of the federal research institute "Forest ecosystems, agricultural resources, bioprocessing and food" (IFR 110 Efaba).
2012 Creation of the University of Lorraine by combining the Université Henri Poincaré (University of Nancy 1) University of Nancy 2, INPL and the University of Metz.
2013 Purchase of the field of Joly (Mirecourt) by INRA. 
2013 The INRA center of Nancy becomes "INRA center of Nancy-Lorraine."